Hot Fuzz: how to make Grace’s peach-topped gingersnap cheesecake tart
“Grace’s owner, Lesle Gibson, has a family orchard in Newcastle, so I have access to all kinds of wonderful fruit. The recipe will work with plums, too, but peaches are my absolute favourite. They pair so beautifully with the spicy gingersnap crust—it’s the perfect combination of summer and fall flavours.”
—pastry chef Tina Kim
Gingersnap cookie crust
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
¾ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp ground cloves
¼ tsp pepper
½ tsp salt
1½ cups unsalted butter
1¼ cups brown sugar
¼ cup molasses
1½ tbsp freshly grated ginger
3 tbsp melted butter
Shortcut: crumble store-bought gingersnaps for the crust instead of making cookies from scratch.
CREAM CHEESE FILLING
500 grams cream cheese (two bricks)
1½ cups sugar
1 cup whipping cream
1 vanilla bean, scraped
8 Ontario peaches
4 cups sugar
4 cups water
½ cup brandy
1 cinnamon stick (optional)
1. For the gingersnap crust, combine all dry ingredients with spices and set aside.
2. Beat butter, brown sugar, molasses and ginger until fluffy (about three minutes), scraping down the sides of the bowl as you go. Add the egg and beat for another minute.
3. Add dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Chill dough for at least 1 hour.
4. While dough is chilling, beat cream cheese, vanilla bean and sugar until smooth. In a separate bowl, beat the cream until soft peaks form. Fold whipped cream into cream cheese mixture. Set aside in fridge.
5. Preheat oven to 350º F. Roll cookie dough into 1-inch balls, place on cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Let cool.
6. Put cookies into a plastic bag. Using a rolling pin, crush until cookies are the consistency of coarse sand. Mix crumbs with melted butter until the mixture is evenly moist. Press into 10–12 tart shells and place in the freezer to harden for 20 minutes. Pop out of molds.
7. For the poached peaches, bring sugar, water, brandy and cinnamon stick to boil in a large pot. Place whole peaches in poaching liquid and cook until tender (about 10 minutes). Cool and peel. Slice each peach into eighths.
8. Divide the cream cheese mixture among the tart shells. Arrange peach slices on top.
503 College St.,