Introducing: The Chase, a swishy new penthouse restaurant in the Financial District
Name: The Chase
Contact Info: 10 Temperance St., thechasetoronto.com, 647-348-7000, @TheChaseTO
Neighbourhood: Financial District
Owner: Steven Salm, who also owns The Chase Fish and Oyster on the main floor
Executive chef: Michael Steh, who used to be the executive chef at Reds
Chef de cuisine: Amira Becarevic, former chef at EPIC in the Fairmount Royal York
The Food: Contemporary Canadian food with a focus on seafood, seasonal produce and handmade cheeses, like house-whipped goats’ milk ricotta. Family-style entrées include halibut with brown-butter tartar sauce and a foie gras–stuffed roast chicken. For lunch: salads and sandwiches, like pesto chicken on brioche with Parmesan-truffle fries.
The Drinks: A 300-long international wine list curated by sommelier Anton Potvin.
The Place: The brand-new Dineen building penthouse oozes casual elegance with white crown molding, crystal chandeliers and fabrics designed by Ralph Lauren. The space is divided into three separate areas: a 75-seat rooftop terrace, a corridor-shaped wine bar and a cozy dining room with grey tufted banquettes and views of Lake Ontario.
• $25,000 for two ovens used exclusively for chickens and flatbreads
• $4,000 for the most expensive bottle on the wine list: a Pingus Ribera del Duero
• 550° to roast a whole foie gras–stuffed chicken (the scorching heat helps the foie melt into the chicken flesh)
• 270° view of downtown Toronto from the terrace of the library bar
• 5 months to build
• 1 elevator ride between The Chase and main-floor seafood bar The Chase Fish and Oyster