Toronto Life Cookbook: nine scrumptious spins on the sugar cookie
Elyse Wahle of Sullivan and Bleeker Baking Co. shares her foolproof recipe for the classic baked good, plus an assortment of quirky cookie creations
PREP TIME: 25 minutes | BAKE TIME: 8 to 10 minutes
SUGAR COOKIE BASE
1½ cups all-purpose flour
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda
½ cup unsalted butter,
at room temperature
½ cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1. Whisk together flour, salt and baking soda.
2. In an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla extract and beat until combined. Add flour mixture and beat into a smooth dough.
3. Divide dough in half and wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour until firm.
4. Preheat oven to 350º F. Roll dough into ¼-inch-thick disc and use a cookie cutter to make 2-inch-wide circles. Place 3 inches apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
5. Bake cookies 8 to 10 minutes until edges start to brown. Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling.