All Mixed Up: Watch Cold Tea’s Sarah Parniak make a Lucky Peach, her twist on a bourbon sour
Cold Tea is tucked away in the back of the Kensington Mall, down a long hallway and behind a door with a small window and a single red bulb above it. Visitors are greeted by a small (and operational) dim sum cart when they enter, but around the corner there is indeed a suitably laid-back bar, with a large patio out back. Here, Sarah Parniak, one of the bartenders, shows us how she makes a Lucky Peach ($10), a twist on the classic bourbon sour, one of her favourites.
1.5 oz Maker’s Mark
0.5 oz Amaro Nonino
0.5 oz egg white
0.5 oz fresh lemon juice
2 bar spoons peach jam* (flavoured with nutmeg and annatto)
1 dash black salt
1 dash Angostura bitters
1. Combine Maker’s Mark bourbon, Amaro Nonino herbal liqueur and egg white in a Boston shaker.
2. Add lemon juice, jam and black salt, and shake, without ice, for 15 to 20 seconds.
3. Add ice and shake vigorously for another 15 to 20 seconds.
4. Strain into a rocks glass filled with ice.
5. Finish with a dash of Angostura bitters.
* Use a high-quality peach jam (or make your own, when in season), and stew with nutmeg, annatto and bourbon.