Rob Ford releases a statement: he admits to dropping an F-bomb, but claims things are not be as bad as they once seemed

Rob Ford releases a statement: he admits to dropping an F-bomb, but claims things are not be as bad as they once seemed

Image: Christopher Drost

The story of Rob Ford’s encounter with the CBC’s This Hour Has 22 Minutes took a potty-mouthed turn this morning with news that Ford allegedly berated 911 dispatchers and insisted that he was, in fact, “Rob Fucking Ford.” But now the Globe and Mail disputes these claims, reporting that the CBC’s story is inaccurate, as does Doug Ford, offering a competing interpretation of the events in an interview with the Toronto Star. The mayor also released a statement on his Facebook page this afternoon, providing his own take as to what went down that fateful morning. Read the entire statement, after the jump.

Here’s what happened, according to Ford:

On Monday morning, I was ambushed in the driveway of my home by two people who rushed up to me screaming and waving at me, while I was trying to leave my home and get my daughter off to school.  They prevented me from getting into my van and closing the door.  Concerned for my safety and that of my family, I called 9-1-1 for help and retreated into my home. The two individuals fled to their black SUV and left before police arrived.

I later learned that the two individuals were part of a television comedy program. I remain concerned that their behaviour was traumatic for my daughter and in no way acceptable professional behaviour.  They trespassed on my property and refused to leave when asked.  They physically prevented me from leaving my property.

This morning, the same television network responsible for the comedy program published a report alleging that I made foul and derogatory comments towards the female 9-1-1 staff.  That allegation is absolutely false.

When I made the 9-1-1 call, I was concerned and upset.  I was repeatedly told police were arriving soon.  In another call, I expressed frustration with the delay and said that I had to leave to go to City Hall.  I did use the “f-word” at some point as I expressed my frustration with the situation.  After being attacked in my driveway, I hope I can be excused for saying the f-word.  I never called anyone any names. I apologize for expressing my frustration inappropriately.