Torontonians score the most honours at the national hairstyling awards
While most people were gorging themselves on tiny chocolate bars and mini-bags of chips on the weekend, the country’s aesthetic elite were attending their version of the Oscars, the Contessa Awards. Held at the Sheraton, this was the 21st edition of the Contessas, which recognize excellence in hair, makeup and nails.
Though the title hairstylist of the year went to Vancouver’s Chad Taylor, and the award for the top salon went to Glam in Montreal, Torontonians took home the most awards (but, hey, who’s counting?). After the jump, the Toronto winners.
• The best stylist in Ontario award went to Rob Barbosa of Salon Escape (132 Cumberland St., 416-324-8080).
• Salon Escape won another award with Shane Snow, who created the best textured style.
• Men’s stylist of the year went to Rudy Pigantaro of Salon G&A (1245 Dupont Ave., 416-533-9118).
• The top multicultural stylist is Blonde Salon’s Stacey Staley (82 Power St., 416-361-3131).
• Diana Dagher from Bloor West Village’s Capucci (2254 Bloor St. W., 416-766-3287) took home the best session stylist title.
• Ashley Ann MacKenzie, of The BloBar (1896 Ave. Rd., 416-782-8897) won nail art technician of the year. One of her designs had an actual key attached to the pinkie fingernail.
• Yorkville School of Makeup’s (70 Yorkville Ave., 416-920-4906) Jessica Marie Ellison received the top nod for nail enhancement.