Recipe: Fancy Mac and Cheese with Cauliflower and Chorizo
What’s for Dinner? It’s a question asked every day. The LCBO has put together three inspired pairings for all your mealtimes including perfect wine matches, fresh cocktail ideas, beer and more.
Fancy Mac and Cheese with Cauliflower and Chorizo
3 cups (750 mL) penne pasta
2 cups (500 mL) small cauliflower florets
3 cups (750 mL) cold milk
3 tbsp (45 mL) all-purpose flour
3 tbsp (45 mL) cold unsalted butter, cubed
1 tsp (5 mL) dried Italian seasoning
2 cups (500 mL) shredded old cheddar cheese
1 tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard
¾ cup (185 mL) diced cured chorizo
Salt and black pepper to taste
½ cup (125 mL) panko bread crumbs
¼ cup (60 mL) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
Finely chopped parsley for garnish
1. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta for 5 minutes. Add cauliflower to pot and bring back to boil. Cook until pasta is al dente and cauliflower is just tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain well and return to pot.
2. Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, whisk together milk, flour, butter and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil, whisking constantly, about 4 minutes. Simmer, whisking constantly, until sauce is smooth and has thickened slightly, about 2 minutes.
3. Remove saucepan from heat and stir in cheddar until melted. Whisk in mustard.
4. Add sauce and chorizo to pasta and stir gently. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and then spoon mixture into a greased 10-cup (2.5 L) baking dish.
6. In a small bowl, stir together bread crumbs, Parmesan and oil. Sprinkle crumb mixture evenly over pasta. Bake, uncovered, until bubbly and browned, about 20 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley.
Serves 6 to 8
This is a sponsored post. The content is paid for by our advertising partners. Learn more about the LCBO at lcbo.com