Dumb and Dumber: the most idiotic things Giorgio Mammoliti and Rob Ford did during the budget debates
City council approved the 2013 operating budget just after noon today, and, despite $12-million in last-minute spending additions, this year’s debates weren’t nearly as dramatic as last year’s coup by centrist and left-wing forces. That’s not to say there weren’t shenanigans, the best of which starred habitual headline-grabbers Giorgio Mammoliti and Rob Ford.
- Mammoliti started things off with a surprise motion for a property tax freeze, passionately arguing that a floating casino on the waterfront could bring in any extra money that the city needs. When a skeptical Ron Moeser wondered where Mammo planned to get such a boat, the York West councillor responded, “British Columbia has got a few for sale right now. You can laugh all you like.”
- Ford then shocked the room by being one of only four members of council to actually vote for Mammoliti’s proposed freeze. By doing so, he was effectively voting against the budget he had urged council to support a few hours earlier, which included a two-per-cent tax hike. Ford’s press secretary later explained the mayor was just being “open-minded,” though councillor Denzil Minnan-Wong acerbically noted, “I find it highly unusual for the chair of the executive committee and the mayor to vote against his own budget.” Unfazed, Ford called the final budget—with the property tax hike intact—the “best budget in Toronto’s history.”
• Budget approved: Toronto council saves firefighters, breakfast program and child care [Toronto Star]
• ‘Where is this boat you’re talking about?’: Mammoliti proposes tax freeze paid for by temporary floating casino [National Post]
• Mayor Rob Ford votes against his own budget [Toronto Sun]
• ‘We fended them off. They’re like piranhas’: Rob Ford agrees to compromise as council passes ‘best budget in Toronto’s history’ [National Post]
2 thoughts on “Dumb and Dumber: the most idiotic things Giorgio Mammoliti and Rob Ford did during the budget debates”
I find it quite difficult to understand why this is being twisted, yet again, if not as a new attack on the current council. Not and attack on Ford, or Mammoliti. All of City Hall. Stop attacking and start discussing. The Floating Casino idea is an “outside-the-box” idea, and one that should at least spark conversation. Instead, Councilors with new, fresh ideas, are being laughed at and ridiculed in the media. Yes, Ford and Mammoliti are obvious candidates for “Bulls-eye of the year”, but its only because they have the “Testicular Fortitude” to stand up and demonstrate the use of our creative minds. Leadership is more than bowing to the screams of the voters. These men are under extreme pressure to do right for the city. Especially now, in the current economy. I know I work harder when I’m being motivated. Not attacked. And that goes for ALL Councilors, Left to Right.
We can all do well with a little more imagination and creativity in our lives. We should see more from our politicians. Lets stop recycling ideas and start recreating the world class city we all love. Lets be innovators. Lets show the world what a Motivated and United Toronto can get accomplished as a Whole, and not a Left, Middle and Right.
Me——-> Good point but do you really think these two Bozo can create any vision worthy of being taken seriously for Toronto ? really? There is no fresh thinking or logical idea from these two – none. Floating casino where ? When ? On the frozen lake ? Do you think like most Torontonians do that we live in some warm climate?! madness. Cheers to out of the box conceptual thinking and you show me if you ever hear any from either bozos!!!
Comments are closed.