Weekly Eater: Toronto food events for June 11 to 17
Monday, June 11
- 86’D: Join Ivy Knight for the Blue Ribbon Pie–eating contest. Wash the pies down with boozy lemonade from guest bartenders with The Order of Good Cheer. The Drake, 1150 Queen St. W., 416-531-5042. Find out more »
- Sensational Summer Recipes: Marni Wasserman demonstrates recipes for a summer menu perfect for outdoor dining. Marni’s Kitchen, 26 Lauderdale Dr., 647-477-8131. Find out more »
- Dolce Vita in Lazio: Chef Massimo Bruno teaches a menu inspired by Roman home cooking. Dish Cooking Studio, 390 Dupont St., 416-920-5559. Find out more »
- Piola’s Monday Night Mixer: Piola’s weekly aperitivo italiano, with cocktail and beer specials and complimentary snacks. 1165 Queen St. W., 416-477-4652. Find out more »
Tuesday, June 12
- Advanced Knife Skills: The chefs of Dining In Chez Vous teach a variety of safe and efficient techniques, as well as a range of recipes for using your new knife skills. LCBO Summerhill, 10 Scrivener Sq., 416-922-0403. Find out more »
- Summertime Grilling: Perfect your grilling techniques for ribs, salmon and steak. The Chef Upstairs, 516 Mount Pleasant Rd., 416-544-9221. Find out more »
- Escape the City—Canoe and Beach Dining Adventure: Paddle to the island with the Culinary Adventure Company for a gourmet beach picnic. 416-565-1730. Find out more »
Wednesday, June 13
- Preserving and Pickling: Sarah Hood, author of We Sure Can! discusses the basics of preserving and demonstrates and how to make and preserve applesauce at home. Hosted by The Cookbook Store. Rosemill Kitchen Studio, 1 Yorkville Ave., 416-920-2665. Find out more »
- Gladstone Culinary Tour: Join Gladstone executive chef Michael Smith for his monthly celebration of Toronto’s cultural diversity. Four-course menu with wine pairings. The Gladstone Hotel, 1214 Queen St. W., 416-531-4635. Find out more »
- Modern Vegetarian: Chef Maggie Grant takes a fresh, updated approach to vegetarian cuisine in this hands-on workshop. Dish Cooking Studio, 390 Dupont St., 416-920-5559. Find out more »
- A Chef’s Tour of Little Italy: Join the Culinary Adventure Company on a behind-the-scenes tour of Little Italy’s finest kitchens. 416-565-1730. Find out more »
Thursday, June 14
- Escape To The Olive Groves Of Le Marche, Italy: A special olive oil tasting with Jason Gibb, co-founder of Nudo olive oils. Includes a sampling of dishes by All The Best Fine Foods chef Nicole Rumball. All The Best Fine Foods, 1101 Yonge St., 416-928-3330. Find out more »
- Green Bites—First Nations Food Ways: Learn about the spiritual connection First Nations people have to the land and its bounty while preparing several traditional dishes from locally sourced ingredients. Evergreen Brick Works, 550 Bayview Ave., 416-863-8360. Find out more »
- Liquid Nutrition: Learn to make healthy ingredients into tasty soups, smoothies and juices with Marni Wasserman. Marni’s Kitchen, 26 Lauderdale Dr., 647-477-8131. Find out more »
Friday, June 15
- Go Gourmet!: A charity event including a three-course tasting menu with wine pairings by chefs Anna Olson, Ricardo Larrivée, Michael Potters and Dale MacKay. Steam Whistle Brewery, 255 Bremner Blvd., 519-267-0755. Find out more »
Saturday, June 16
- Supper Club—Where The Hell Is Belize?: Wes Allen returns from a recent trip to Belize with a menu inspired by the cuisine of the Central American country. The Depanneur, 1033 College St., 416-828-1990. Find out more »
- Pollinators Festival at Evergreen Brick Works: Celebrate international pollinators week with honey tastings, seminars, garden markets and workshops. Evergreen Brick Works, 550 Bayview Ave., 416-863-8360. Find out more »
- Strawberry Festival: Celebrate the launch of berry season with a variety of delicious, strawberry-inspired treats from multiple vendors in the market. St. Lawrence Market, 92 Front St. E., 416-392-7120. Find out more »
- World Cafe at the Harbourfront Centre: Returning for another year, enjoy a variety of ethnic treats from vendors that change every weekend. Saturday and Sundays. 235 Queens Quay West at the Harbourfront Centre, Lakeside Terrace. Find out more »
- Discover Greektown on the Danforth: The Culinary Adventure Company offers a tasting tour of the largest Greek neighbourhood in North America. 416-565-1730. Find out more »
- Thai One On: Learn a Thai menu based on the cuisine’s classic combination of hot, sour, salty and sweet. Dish Cooking Studio, 390 Dupont St., 416-920-5559. Find out more »
- Designer Cookies: Learn how to bake and decorate the perfect cookie. Bonnie Gordon College, 868 Eglinton Ave. W., 416-440-0333. Find out more »
- Stop Market Café: Enjoy a weekly meal sourced from ingredients found at the adjacent farmers’ market. Proceeds from the sales of food at the café are reinvested into The Stop’s programs. 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. Green Barn, 601 Christie St. Find out more»
- Pop-up bottle sale: New kids on the craft brewing block Bellwoods Brewery will be holding their first pop-up bottle sale at the retail store adjoining the brewpub, from 1–5 p.m. 126 Ossington Ave. Find out more »
Sunday, June 17
- Introduction To Cookie Decorating: Learn the basics of cookie decoration with this week’s summery “At The Beach” theme. Le Dolci, 416-262-3400. Find out more »
- Cheese Louise: Taste and learn about Quebec and Ontario cheeses and how to pair with wine and beer, as well as all about the cheese making and aging process. The Culinary Adventure Company, location TBD. Find out more »
- Brewer’s Back Yard—Bikes, BBQ and Beer: Join cyclists and families for the Ride the Ravines afterparty and Father’s Day BBQ and beer event. Food by Death Row Meals and beer from Amsterdam Brewing Co. Evergreen Brick Works, 550 Bayview Ave., 416-863-8360. Find out more »
- Sorauren Farmers’ Market: Monday from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. in the field house at Sorauren Park. 50 Wabash Ave.
- East York Farmers’ Market: Tuesday from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. 850 Coxwell Ave.
- Riverdale Farmers’ Market: Tuesday from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. 201 Winchester St. (in Riverdale Park).
- Ryerson University MyMarket: Tuesday from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. Gould St., east of Yonge St.
- Sick Kids’ Hospital Farmers’ Market: Tuesday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. 555 University Ave.
- Trinity Bellwoods Farmers’ Market: Tuesday from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. Northwest corner of Trinity Bellwoods Park near Dundas St. W. and Shaw St.
- Nathan Phillips Square Farmers’ Market: Wednesday from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. 100 Queen St. W.
- Queens Quay Terminal Farmers’ Market: Wednesday from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. 207 Queens Quay W.
- Bloor-Borden Farmers’ Market: Wednesday from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. Green P Lot, Lippincott St. and Bloor St.
- Dufferin Grove Farmers’ Market: Thursday from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. 873 Dufferin St. (in Dufferin Grove Park)
- East Lynn Farmers’ Market: Thursday from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. 1949 Danforth Ave.
- Metro Hall Farmers’ Market: Thursday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. David Pecaut Sq., 55 John St.
- North Civic Centre Farmers’ Market: Thursday from 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Mel Lastman Sq., 5100 Yonge St.
- Toronto Botanical Gardens Organic Farmers’ Market: Thursday from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. 777 Lawrence Ave. E.
- St. Lawrence North Farmers’ Market: Saturday from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. 92 Front St. E.
- Evergreen Brick Works Farmers’ Market: Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. 550 Bayview Ave.
- The Stop Farmers’ Market: Saturday from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. Wychwood Barns, 601 Christie St.
- Withrow Park Farmers’ Market: Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. 725 Logan Ave. (in Withrow Park).
- Junction Farmers’ Market: Saturday from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. Green P Lot, 385 Pacific Ave.