Weekly Eater: Toronto food events for July 30 to August 5
Monday, July 30
- Group of Seven Chefs—Fish and Beer Dinner: The seven chefs get together with Bellwoods Brewery for a five-course, seafood-heavy meal with beer pairings. Bellwoods Brewery, 124 Ossington Ave., 416-535-4586. Find out more »
- Monday’s Dinner chef series at Chantecler: This week, chefs Jonathan Poon (Chantecler) and Jeff Claudio (Yours Truly) will be cooking an 18-course tasting menu full of summer ingredients. Chantecler, 1320 Queen St. W., 416-628-3586. Find out more »
- 86’D With Ivy Knight: Judge the ultimate Blue Ribbon battle of the butter tart. Competitors from Bestellen, The Gabardine, The Flaky Tart and more. The Drake, 1150 Queen St. W., 416-531-5042. Find out more »
- Piola’s Monday Night Mixer: Piola’s weekly aperitivo italiano, with cocktail and beer specials and complimentary snacks. 1165 Queen St. W., 416-477-4652. Find out more »
Tuesday, July 31
- Eat The City Dinner: Robin Shulman, author of Eat The City, hosts a dinner at Beast Restaurant, with chef Scott Vivian preparing dishes using vegetables from Fresh City Farms and other ingredients foraged, raised and fermented in the city. Expect an all-Toronto meal. Beast, 96 Tecumseth St., 647-352-6000. Find out more »
- Escape the City—Canoe and Beach Dining Adventure: Paddle to the island with the Culinary Adventure Company for a gourmet beach picnic. 416-565-1730. Find out more »
- Family Pizza Nights: Join Evergreen and Pizzeria Libretto for fresh, homemade pizzas from their wood-fired oven. All proceeds benefit Evergreen’s children’s food programs in Chimney Court. Evergreen Brick Works, 550 Bayview Ave. Find out more »
Wednesday, August 1
- A Chef’s Tour of Little Italy: Join the Culinary Adventure Company on a behind-the-scenes tour of Little Italy’s finest kitchens. 416-565-1730. Find out more »
- Date Night—French Riviera: Chef Carrie Raw conjures up the Mediterranean with a menu inspired by local dishes from the Southern coast of France. Menu includes ratatouille tarts, fried stuffed zucchini flowers, seared striped bass and apricot tart. Dish Cooking Studio, 390 Dupont St., 416-920-5559. Find out more »
- Vintages Sneak Peak: An expert product consultant presents a selection of fine wines for sampling from the upcoming Vintages release. Kingsway LCBO, 2946 Bloor St. W., 416-239-3065. Find out more »
Thursday, August 2
- Varietals From Around The World: Carmenère, pinotage and viognier are just a few of the varietals to be explored this evening. Broaden your horizons and find out what makes these varieties unique. LCBO Summerhill, 10 Scrivener Sq., 416-922-0403. Find out more »
Friday, August 3
- Bar Gilead Series: A Friday evening series at Jamie Kennedy’s Gilead focused on exploring tapas and cocktails. 4 Gilead Pl., 647-288-0680. Find out more »
- World Café at the Harbourfront Centre: Returning for 2012. Enjoy a variety of ethnic treats from vendors that change every weekend. This week: Filipino, Jamaican, and Trinidadian food, among others. Friday, Saturday and Sunday. 235 Queens Quay W. at the Harbourfront Centre, Lakeside Terrace. Find out more »
Saturday, August 4
- Discover Greektown on the Danforth Walking Tour: Explore this quickly changing neighbourhood with the Culinary Adventure Company. Sample some Greek mezes, indulge in Greek wine tasting and find the perfect addition to your kitchen while gourmet shopping. Culinary Adventure Co., 416-565-1730. Find out more »
- Stop Market Café: Enjoy a weekly meal sourced from ingredients found at the adjacent farmers’ market. Proceeds from the sales of food at the café are reinvested in The Stop’s programs. 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. Green Barn, 601 Christie St. Find out more »
- Chocolate and Cheese Crawl: Why choose one when you can have both? ChowBella Culinary Experiences hosts a chocolate and cheese tour of Queen and King West’s food shops. Find out more »
- Hands in the Bowl: The Evergreen Brick Works invites children (ages four to seven) and their caregivers to roll up their sleeves and learn how to mix, grate, mash and then eat their delicious creations—using only their hands. Evergreen Brick Works, 550 Bayview Ave. Find out more »
- Junction Food Tour: Discover this lively neighbourhood as you sip and savour at foodie destinations along the way. A guided tour by Foodies on Foot, featuring visits to historical points of interest and tastings in shops. Find out more »
- Designer Cupcakes: Students learn how to work with fondant and professional food dyes to create designer toppers like Louis Vuitton handbags and Tiffany’s jewelry. Le Dolci, 1006 Dundas St. W., 416-262-3400. Find out more »
- Make and Take—Summer Pies: Pie-making is not nearly as difficult as it seems—and the best part is you get to take some home to enjoy later. St. Lawrence Market, 92 Front St. E., 416-392-7120. Find out more »
Sunday, August 5
- West Queen West Tasting Tour: Join ChowBella founder Trina Hendry for a food-focused tour of the burgeoning westernmost strip of Queen Street. You’ll be treated to a tea demonstration, an olive tasting and a sampling of Parisian delights, among other gourmet goodies. Find out more »
- Introduction to Cupcake Decorating: A hands-on workshop teaching you how to dress up a cupcake. Le Dolci, 416-262-3400. Find out more »
- Lettuce Wrap Night At Chantecler: Chantecler is offering lettuce wraps with helpings of meats, assorted pickles, and condiments at $19 per person until 1 a.m. every Sunday–or until the food runs out! Chantecler, 1320 Queen St. W., 416-628-3586. Find out more »
- Sorauren Farmers’ Market: Monday from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. in the field house at Sorauren Park. 50 Wabash Ave.
- East York Farmers’ Market: Tuesday from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. 850 Coxwell Ave.
- Riverdale Farmers’ Market: Tuesday from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. 201 Winchester St. (in Riverdale Park)
- Ryerson University MyMarket: Tuesday from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. Gould Street, east of Yonge
- SickKids Hospital Farmers’ Market: Tuesday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. 555 University Ave.
- Trinity Bellwoods Farmers’ Market: Tuesday from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. Northwest corner of Trinity Bellwoods Park near Dundas St. W. and Shaw St.
- 401 Richmond Farmers’ Market: Tuesday from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. 401 Richmond St.
- Nathan Phillips Square Farmers’ Market: Wednesday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. 100 Queen St. W.
- Queens Quay Terminal Farmers’ Market: Wednesday from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. 207 Queens Quay W.
- Bloor-Borden Farmers’ Market: Wednesday from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. Green P Lot, Lippincott St. and Bloor
- Dufferin Grove Farmers’ Market: Thursday from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. 873 Dufferin St. (in Dufferin Grove Park)
- East Lynn Farmers’ Market: Thursday from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. 1949 Danforth Ave.
- Metro Hall Farmers’ Market: Thursday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. David Pecaut Square, 55 John St.
- North Civic Centre Farmers’ Market: Thursday from 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Mel Lastman Square, 5100 Yonge St.
- Toronto Botanical Gardens Organic Farmers’ Market: Thursday from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. 777 Lawrence Ave. E.
- St. Lawrence North Farmers’ Market: Saturday from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. 92 Front St. E.
- Evergreen Brick Works Farmers’ Market: Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. 550 Bayview Ave.
- The Stop Farmers’ Market: Saturday from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. Wychwood Barns, 601 Christie St.
- Withrow Park Farmers’ Market: Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. 725 Logan Ave. (in Withrow Park)
- Junction Farmers’ Market: Saturday from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. Green P Lot, 385 Pacific Ave.
- Leslieville Farmers’ Market: Sunday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Jonathan Ashbridge Park, 20 Woodward Ave.