Weekend fire takes down Dundas West’s Musa
By the time we arrived at 847 Dundas Street West yesterday there was already a crowd of neighbours and passersby scanning the apocalyptic scene: 22 fire trucks, blocked streets and up to 100 firefighters scurrying around in the heat, pouring vast amounts of water onto what used to be Musa restaurant. Eventually the roof seemed to cave, sending the chimney plunging into the street and bricks flying everywhere.
Despite the frenetic atmosphere, the crowd seemed genuinely sad. We could hear gasps of surprise as locals learned that the smoke was indeed coming from the roof of the beloved neighbourhood restaurant. Days away from celebrating its ninth anniversary, Musa was a casual Dundas West spot, popular for brunch and its eclectic Mediterranean menu. It was the kind of place west-enders went to drink a little too much wine, eat a little too much lamb and stumble home through Trinity-Bellwoods.
No word yet on whether the 120-year-old building will be saved. Here’s hoping the ornate brickwork facade, something of a neighbourhood landmark, will be successfully salvaged if owner Amy Fleischman decides to open again.
7 thoughts on “Weekend fire takes down Dundas West’s Musa”
It doesn’t sound like there were any injuries. Was the restaurant open when it went on fire? And I’m assuming it was in the kitchen?
Oh no! This is so sad!
My nephew was not home at the time. He lived upstairs the restaurant. He lost everything. What a disaster!
Thank God he is okay and nobody else was injuried.
I was appalled when I saw the devastation caused by this fire. There was food still on plates at the patio, and the false ceiling had collapsed>looks like everyone was saved by the bell (literally) and no one got hurt.
I went by the bldg. and talked to an insurance guy from the adjacent building. He said that the fire started on the roof, but wasn’t specific as to which building first caught fire.
Thanks Francisco. That is so tragic. I went by there yesterday and the devastation was crazy. I could tell that it started on the roof but I’m so upset. That was one of my fave resos.
Hope to get my salary ‘cozy I still didn’t get any money from the owner!!!
Shocked and saddened to see and then hear of this – albeit belatedly – many fond memories of evenings passed, meals shared, music played, all in good company – I hope that Musa may continue on either in the same locale or nearby.
Comments are closed.