Sun News Network’s David Menzies makes Rob Ford’s radio show that much more offensive
The Sun News Network’s David Menzies managed to be more controversial than Rob and Doug Ford on the brothers’ radio show this week (considering Mayor Ford’s comments on the show have already landed him in trouble on two separate occasions, that’s a feat). In the wake of the Daniel Dale brouhaha, the conversation this week repeatedly returned to the “left-wing media” and their treatment of the mayor—about which Menzies had plenty to say.
Among the highlights:
• Menzies went on a lengthy digression about Ford’s weight during the 2010 mayoral election. He argued the episode was an example of “personal brutality” against the mayor and said he would have been skewered for asking a similarly indecorous question to Ford’s then-competitor George Smitherman, who is gay and has admitted to past drug use:
“Could you imagine if I was at that all-candidates meetings and I went to George Smitherman and I said, ‘You know what, George, being a practising homosexual and the fact that you’ve been involved with all kinds of illicit drug use, how do we know you won’t engage in high-risk sex and drug use that will bring about HIV-leading-to-AIDS and you’ll die in office?’ I would be run out of town on a rail!”
• On the Dale situation, he offered, “I’ve been told the Star purposely assigned their most effeminate reporter there—and I’m not taking shots at him for being that way—just to make the ledger look all the more slanted if he did bring about any physicality.” Menzies also shared that he now calls the Toronto Star the “Toronto Stalker.”
• Menzies also took aim at Mary Walsh, the CBC comedian who ambushed the mayor in his driveway this winter, and who has openly admitted to struggling with alcoholism in the past. “If I had an alcoholic woman with a sword on my property, I’d phone the police too,” Menzies said. “Yeah, it seems like she was on something,” responded Ford, laughing.
• Finally, Menzies said the attacks on Ford smack of “disgusting gutter journalism.”
Funny, those were just the words we were searching for.
• The City with Mayor Rob Ford [NewsTalk 1010]
• Duly Quoted: Sun News Personality David Menzies [Torontoist]
• Rob Ford’s stupid and offensive radio show demeans us all [Metro Toronto]
3 thoughts on “Sun News Network’s David Menzies makes Rob Ford’s radio show that much more offensive”
While “disgusting gutter journalism” may be appropriate words to describe what Menzies said on the show, at least the show doesn’t pretend that it’s actually practicing “journalism”.
Menzies has the right to make as big a fool of himself as he wants on Ford’s show…
I am so happy to finally see a reporter with balls, can I help. I live to screw the politicians or anyone else who is above the law. I can take a punch too.
As if DM cares what a lefty shit rag like this magazine says
Comments are closed.