Holiday Feast Recipe: Latkes and smoked trout from The Westerly’s Geoff Kitt
At The Westerly, the friendly Roncesvalles bistro that opened last year, Geoff Kitt makes sweet, crispy miniature Polish latkes. He serves them with chunks of tender smoked trout and rich horseradish crème fraîche you’ll end up licking off the plate. They’re the perfect two-bite snack when guests are milling about before the meal.
Geoff Kitt’s Latkes
Horseradish crème fraîche
- ½ cup crème fraîche
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup fresh chives, chopped
- 1 tbsp prepared horseradish
- 1 tbsp fine lemon zest
- Salt and pepper to taste
Latkes with smoked trout
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp each salt and pepper
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 large russet potato, peeled
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup canola or vegetable oil
- ¼ lb smoked trout
1. Prepare horseradish crème fraîche by stirring all ingredients together in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate until latkes are ready.
2. For latkes, combine flour, baking powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Place a strainer over another bowl. Grate onion into strainer. Peel potato, then grate over the onion. With a fork, mix together. Using your hands, squeeze out any excess liquid and discard. Beat egg in a medium bowl. Stir in onion-potato mixture and then flour until well combined.
3. Set a heavy frying pan over medium-high heat and add oil. When very hot but not smoking, divide latke mixture into 4 balls. Cook them in batches, flattening each with a spatula into a 4-inch pancake as you go. Cook for 2 to 4 minutes per side until deep golden. Adjust heat as needed. Remove to a paper towel–lined tray. Best served immediately but can be reheated in a 350° F oven for about 15 minutes.
4. When ready to serve, place latkes on a platter and add a dollop of horseradish crème fraîche. Top with slices of smoked trout.
Kolapore Springs smoked trout is virtuously fished and lusciously tender. You can find it at several gourmet grocers in the city, including Fiesta Farms. 200 Christie St., 416-537-1235.
Preiss-Zimmer Vieilles Vignes Riesling
$19 | Alsace | 90 points
When smoked salmon, trout or even herring shows up as a first course , bold, refreshing riesling is just the thing. This one is lean, with honeyed peach, spice and petrol. Vintages. LCBO 292193
See all our holiday wines »