Holiday Feast Recipe: Vegan rum cookies from Ashley Wittig of Bunner’s
Allergy sufferers regularly face crosstown traffic to stock up on sweets at Bunner’s, Ashley Wittig’s vegan, gluten-free bake shop in the Junction. Her banana–spiced rum cookies are a virtuous take on the rum ball.
Ashley Wittig’s Vegan Rum Cookies
Makes 30 cookies
- 1¾ cup gluten-free all-purpose baking flour, such as Bob’s Red Mill
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp xanthan gum
- ½ tsp grated nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup mashed banana, about 1¼ bananas
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 tbsp dark rum
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp organic buttery spread, such as Earth Balance, softened
- 1¼ cups sifted icing sugar
- 1 tbsp non-dairy milk, such as soy, almond or rice milk
- 1 tbsp dark rum
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Sift flour, baking powder, salt, xanthan gum, nutmeg, cinnamon and baking soda into a medium bowl. Whisk until evenly combined.
3. Place bananas in a large bowl and mash with a hand mixer or potato masher until smooth. Whisk in sugar, oil, rum, molasses and vanilla. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold wet ingredients into dry.
4. Drop about 1 tbsp batter onto a lined baking sheet, spacing cookies at least 1½ inches apart.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes until golden-brown and puffed. Cool completely. Repeat with remaining baking sheet of cookies.
6. For frosting, place non-dairy butter in a medium bowl and beat slowly with sugar until evenly mixed. Add non-dairy milk and rum.
7. When cookies are completely cool, use a spatula to remove to a platter and drizzle each with icing.
Sailor Jerry Spiced Navy Rum, which exudes vanilla and nutmeg, will add an extra-warming kick to the cookies. LCBO 80127.