Toronto Life Cookbook: Queen Margherita Pizza co-owner John Chetti shares his 10 favourite pizza toppings
PREP TIME: 3 hours | COOK TIME: 20 minutes
THE ULTIMATE PIZZA DOUGH
2 tbsp fresh yeast
1 cup lukewarm water
3⅓ cups unbleached flour
1 tbsp salt
1. Dissolve 2 tbsp yeast into 5 tsp lukewarm water. Add 2 tbsp flour and mix into a smooth paste. Cover with a tea towel and let rise 30 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, make a deep hole in the middle of 2¾ cups flour. Pour in the yeast liquid, salt and remaining water. Knead continuously with well-floured hands for about 10 minutes. When the dough is elastic, form it into a loaf and then cut into 4 equal pieces. Form the pieces into balls and cover. Let rise 2 hours until they double in size. Each ball makes a pizza.
3. Preheat oven to 425º F. Knead each ball for a couple of minutes. Flatten each ball into a thin circle, then roll to desired thinness. Make a raised edge by pressing knuckles 1 inch inside the circle. Add toppings.
4. Bake on well-greased pan for 15 to 20 minutes, or place on a pizza stone and bake at your oven’s highest temperature until desired doneness.
5. For variations that use tomato sauce, blend a can of San Marzano DOP tomatoes with a handful of basil, ½ cup olive oil and a pinch of salt.