Orphan Black’s Ari Millen answers our incredibly personal questionnaire
Ari Millen has one of the most demanding roles in television. On Space’s Orphan Black, a sci-fi thriller that debuts its fourth season on April 14, he plays every member of a crew of dozens of identical, sociopathic clones. In real life, of course, he’s just one man: a Toronto-based entertainer basking in a recent Best Actor win at the Canadian Screen Awards. Here’s how he answered our questionnaire:
1. Where’s your favourite place on earth (and why)?
I’ve never been there, but the Son Doong Cave in Vietnam, once I finally go, will probably be top of the list. All you have to do is look at a picture and you’ll know why.
2. What’s your pet peeve?
When people call me “Boss.” It can’t not sound condescending.
3. What’s your favourite vice?
There’s nothing better than overdoing a good meal and a good bottle of something.
4. What’s a trend you loathe (and why)?
“Selfies.” Please just ask someone to take the picture for you. Who knows? Maybe you’ll meet your future husband/wife that way, and you can get off of eHarmony.
5. What achievement are you proudest of?
Becoming a father.
6. What three adjectives would your friends use to describe you?
Playful, witty and instigative.
7. What do people not understand about you?
My sense of humour.
8. If you could live in any decade, which one (and why)?
Either the ’20s or ’40s. Can’t say why. Maybe because the times seemed simpler, but still dangerous. Kind of romantic that way.
9. What’s your greatest regret?
I’m still too young to know, I think, but I’m sure it’ll be tragic.
10. What are you obsessed with right now (and why)?
My little girl. It’s amazing to watch someone discover so much in a single day.
11. Describe the perfect date.
Good food, good wine and good conversation.
12. Who’s the most impressive contact in your cell phone?
Haha. I have no idea.
13. If you could be any fictional character, who would you be?
Indiana Jones, for the same reasons I mentioned in question nine.
14. Name a word you’re not sure how to pronounce.
I had to say “aphasia” recently. Didn’t come naturally.
15. What dead celebrity would you like to meet?
Peter Sellers. I wish I had a fraction of his talent.
16. What’s the most embarrassing thing you’ve ever done?
I miss the point a lot and end up asking a lot of dumb questions. Keeps my ego in check.
17. When’s the last time you cried?
I’ve got a weakness for nostalgia, so losing Weiland and Bowie so close together was pretty rough.
18. What’s your pop-culture guilty pleasure?
Pawn Stars. I just want to know what things are worth.
19. What percentage do you tip for decent service?
Fifteen per cent is pretty standard, I think.
20. Who should play you in your hypothetical biopic?
Maybe Jacob Tremblay, but I’m sure he’ll be too accomplished.
21. What’s the last book you read?
The Times Guide to the People of Europe.
22. What do you want your tombstone to say?
Oh, that doesn’t matter. I guess my name. Just bury me near my loved ones.
23. What would be your death-row meal?
Either Indian or Mexican food. Depends on the day. Maybe they can do up some paneer nachos.