Traipsing through Yorkville without an iPod, we can finally hear the passersby
After an unsuccessful afternoon of celeb hunting, we decided the best thing to do would be to hang out in Yorkville and hope for the best. We not so surreptitiously listened to the plebs and this what we heard:
• Froshies in over their heads: “Is this Yorkville Avenue?”
• Store workers talking about elderly ladies stealing: “She bought a really expensive leather bag but stole a $15 white T-shirt. What’s that about?”
• The patrons at One: “Who the hell is that?” (In response to watching Arlene Dickinson of Dragon’s Den being photographed outside of the swank restaurant.)
• People talking about party entry methods: “What if I just stay shopping at the store all afternoon?” “No, they’ll still kick you out.”
• Cars blasting all manner of music: Our favourite, the out-of-place “Stairway to Heaven.”
• Intrepid kids selling chocolate trying to take advantage of tourist rubes.