Founded by the Toronto Institute of Bartending’s Len Fragomeni, SpiritHouse is a King West bar and lounge that features a staggering menu of both classic and modern cocktails (see our Introducing post for more on the list). Here, Brad Gubbins, the bar manager, shows us how to make the Man of Interest, a rum-laced take on a negroni inspired by the mythic men who graced the Cuba of the ’50s.
1.75 oz Havana Club seven-year-old rum
0.75 oz Cinzano sweet vermouth
0.50 oz Aperol
1 dash of cherry bitters
1 slice of orange
1. Combine rum, Cinzano and Aperol into mixing glass two-thirds full of ice.
2. Add dash of cherry bitters.
3. Stir well for about 20 seconds to chill and dilute the mixture.
4. Strain into old-fashioned glass with spherical ice cube (BYOB sells inexpensive spherical molds).
5. Garnish with orange slice.