Introducing: Xola, a new spot for tacos, taquitos and tamales in the Beach
Neighbourhood: The Beach
Contact Info: 2222A Queen St. E.
Owner/Chef: Mali Fernandez, the former chef and co-owner of Danforth tapas bar Embrujo Flamenco, which closed last spring
The Food: Mexican dishes. Fish tacos, veal taquitos and gorditas topped with chicken, chorizo and huitlacoche, a truffle-like fungus that grows on corn. For dessert: chocolate tamales with sour cream.
The Drinks: House margaritas come in exotic flavours like spicy mango and cucumber.
The Place: The 17-seat space has one bright red wall, a chalkboard menu and bare Edison bulbs dangling from the ceiling.
• 300 tamales sold per week
• 20 years chef Mali has cooked professionally
• 17 Edison bulbs dangling from the ceiling
• 8 kilograms of tortillas used per day
• 0 websites, Twitter feeds or Facebook accounts