Sorry Beachers, La Carnita isn’t coming anymore

Sorry Beachers, La Carnita isn’t coming anymore

(Image: La Carnita/Twitter) (Image: La Carnita/Twitter)
 

Earlier this year, Beach residents were tickled to learn that La Carnita’s second taqueria was coming to their neighbourhood, rather than joining The County General and Rock Lobster’s spin-off locations in Leslieville. Unfortunately, that plan didn’t pan out. Now spoke to La Carnita co-owner Andrew Richmond, who explained that the venue he had in mind, the former Works space at 1553 Queen Street, just wasn’t the right fit. “It’s a great two-storey space, but it turned out there’s a limit to what we could do with it,” he told Now. “The capacity would’ve been really, really small, to the point that it didn’t make sense to go ahead. So I had to let it go.”

Richmond hasn’t scrapped the east-side expansion plan altogether, though. In fact, he said he’s close to signing on another property located in—you guessed it—Leslieville. It’s sad news for the Beach’s dining scene, which could use some fresh blood. On the other hand, the neighbourhood is now much less likely to be swarmed by rowdy drunks on Saturday nights, so that’s something.