Introducing: Bolt Fresh Bar, a new clean-eating outpost on Queen West
The Food: Nutrient-dense dishes, ideal for restoring body and chi after one too many late-night binge sessions. The menu includes vegan grain bowls, açaí parfaits and salads layered with things like kelp noodles and kimchi. Kale is massaged-to-order with lemon juice and avocado oil.
The Drinks: House-made smoothies and juices with names like Chocolate Thunder (dark chocolate, raw cacao, peanut butter, banana, flax seed, chia seed, almond milk and agave) and Greena Colada (pineapple, shredded coconut, raw cashew, flax seed, kale, coconut milk and agave). A juice detox program is in the works.
The Place: The take-out shop has enough vintage charm to fit right in on the trendy West Queen West strip. The pièce de resistance: a 120-year-old antique walk-in cooler and display case, which houses apothecary-style bottles of Toronto-brewed kombucha.
• 100 bunches of kale chopped shredded and pulverized per day
• 60 pounds of bananas blended per day
• 6 back-to-back shots of super-pungent ginger juice—the current standing record by co-owner Eddie Chan
• 2 Blendtecs, the quietest blender on the market
• 1 vintage walk-in cooler from the 1890s
• 1 dead tree salvaged to construct the wooden countertop