As the unappetizing infractions rack up, Ruby Restaurant closes for good
The latest—and likely last—development in the Ruby Restaurant brouhaha was announced in the Toronto Star this morning: the usually jam-packed Scarborough eatery is closing for good. After a roach infestation, 22 salmonella cases and two inspection failures in one week, Ruby’s owners held an emergency meeting over the weekend at which they decided to declare bankruptcy. The DineSafe page for Ruby reads like a nasty report card, with a series of S and C marks (meaning “significant” and “crucial,” respectively) in such categories as “Operator fail to ensure food is not contaminated/adulterated” and “Operator fail to prevent an insect infestation”—nausea-inducing terms that prompted us to start searching out the DineSafe pages for some local eating spots.
Without getting into specifics, we will sign off with this: the words “conditional pass” become more terrifying when read over and over, and the city’s searchable DineSafe database is a great way to kill a few hours (if not a few cockroaches).