DIY Barbecue Guide: how to make the Drake’s sweet, sour and bitter Cucumber Smash
Created by The Drake Hotel’s bar manager, Jon Humphrey, the Cucumber Smash is a tight balance of sweet, sour and bitter with a refreshing blast of cool cucumber and ripe honeydew. It’s a perfect counterpoint to salty, slow-smoked barbecue.
5 cucumber rounds, cut ¼-inch thick
4 honeydew melon balls
½ oz. simple syrup
1 oz. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1½ oz. vodka
½ oz. Pimm’s No. 1 Cup
4 dashes Angostura bitters (available at BYOB, 972 Queen St. W., 1-877-989-8980)
1. With a cocktail skewer or toothpick, impale 1 cucumber round and 1 melon ball. Set aside.
2. Place remaining cucumber rounds and melon balls in cocktail shaker with simple syrup and lemon juice. Muddle for 30 seconds with wooden spoon.
3. Add vodka, Pimm’s, bitters and a handful of ice cubes. Shake for 45 seconds.
4. Strain into a highball glass filled with ice.
5. Top up with club soda. Garnish with skewered fruit.