TIFF WEEKEND ROUNDUP: The celeb sightings, best fashion and gossip
There’s more to TIFF than just red carpets and parties. There’s also shameless celeb gawking and stalking, glamorous gowns and little tidbits of gossip that occasionally slip out at parties. Here’s a roundup of some of our favourite moments from the first weekend:
• Potential new king of TIFF. At last year’s festival, Ryan Gosling was everywhere. The heir apparent this year is Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who not only walked the red carpet at festival opener Looper (in which he stars as a time-travelling assassin), but also showed up (in more casual attire) for the premieres of Cloud Atlas and The Master.
• Best celeb spotting. Sure, the stars were out in full force at the spots where you’d expect them to be (Soho House, Stock restaurant at the Trump, various Khabouth properties), but our favourite star spotting of the fest so far has to be Justin Bieber’s appearance at the Queensway Cineplex, where he saw Ted (and made the nights of some very excited fans).
• Best quotes
- Seven Psychopaths director Martin McDonagh on whether he researched any real psychopaths for his film: “Not really—other than my mother.”
- Arts and Communications senior vice president Charlene Lo on what not to ask a publicist: “Most dreaded phrase of #TIFF12: ‘Can I have a plus one?’ It’s basically like asking a publicist for their first born.”
- Billy Connolly on what his aging female fans like to throw on stage: “Now they throw Depends.”
• Best man-hug of the festival. Gosling’s bear-like embrace of Place Beyond the Pines director Derek Cianfrance