Rob Ford makes a ridiculous claim about Sugar Beach, then refuses to retract it

Rob Ford makes a ridiculous claim about Sugar Beach, then refuses to retract it

On Friday, Rob Ford said something so blatantly misleading that it has since blown up into yet another a mini-scandal. In an interview with Chinese-language news station Fairchild TV, the mayor tried to claim that Sugar Beach, a public park at the foot of Jarvis Street, was sneakily built (at taxpayer expense, naturally) during his two months in rehab. “Obviously, as soon as I go away, they go and spend a million dollars on rocks and umbrellas,” he said. “The gravy train, obviously, was back right on the rails as soon as I’m away.” The basis for Ford’s claim (if it can be said to have a basis) is a series of news stories that came out last month about the previously unknown costs of some of the park’s furniture—but all that money was spent long ago, and the park was completed in 2010. Earlier today, Ford’s office issued a statement about the flap. “The mayor maintains this is a complete waste of taxpayer money,” it said, without directly acknowledging the obvious fib.