Chantal Kreviazuk answers our incredibly personal questionnaire
The singer, whose new album is out on June 17, tells us her secrets
Chantal Kreviazuk has collaborated with Drake. She has written music for artists like Kendrick Lamar and Pitbull. In 2015, alongside her husband, Our Lady Peace’s Raine Maida, she was inducted into the Order of Canada. What she hasn’t done—at least, since 2009—is put out a studio album. That will change on June 17, when Kreviazuk’s Hard Sail is released. Here’s how she answered our questionnaire:
1. Where’s your favourite place on earth (and why)?
Cottage country Ontario. Because it’s so gentle and private and somehow honest, too. The stars late at night and the sound of the loon’s call are surreal. All one could ever need.
2. What’s your pet peeve?
People taking their shoes and socks off on the plane. Like, really?
3. What’s your favourite vice?
Coffee. Straight to my veins please.
4. What’s a trend you loathe (and why)?
The Kardashian/Jenner scene… ‘cuz it’s starting to not be a trend.
5. What achievement are you proudest of?
My partnership with my husband. Together 20 years this year.
6. What three adjectives would your friends use to describe you?
Loyal, compassionate, funny as #!*?.
7. What do people not understand about you?
I am extremely confident, but also highly sensitive.
8. If you could live in any decade, which one (and why)?
I would live now, because you can speak your truth and human rights and freedoms are at an all time high, believe it or not.
9. What’s your greatest regret?
I regret not having my children earlier, so I could have had more. Either more children, or more time with them in this life.
10. What are you obsessed with right now (and why)?
I am completely obsessed with the new Radiohead album. It’s up there for me with the Beatles’ Revolver at this point.
11. Describe the perfect date.
On the perfect date, my husband and I are away for 24 hours together. This ensures a few meals together, some guaranteed romance and some focus on each other’s needs—and, of course, a good night’s sleep. We’re at a solid hotel, and mostly in the room. We would have, on the perfect date, one of our really good laughs together. Integral.
12. Who’s the most impressive contact in your cell phone?
The Prime Minister. That just kinda sounds cool. LOL.
13. If you could be any fictional character, who would you be?
I’d be Selina Meyer (played by Julia Louis Dreyfus on HBO’s Veep.) I am obsessed with Julia, but mostly I just wanna say all of those witty quips and crass one-liners—and then I could cuss like her. It’s utter genius.
14. Name a word you’re not sure how to pronounce.
Raine will love this: Worcestershire.
15. What dead celebrity would you like to meet?
Oh, that’s morbid. But Bowie.
16. What’s the most embarrassing thing you’ve ever done?
I can’t say it here. ‘Cuz it’s the most embarrassing thing I have ever done. Let’s just say I’m innocent, because I had fallen asleep. During a massage. The therapist swore to secrecy.
17. When’s the last time you cried?
Yesterday night, while performing my song “Surrounded,” about my friend Samuel, whom we lost to suicide about 23 years ago now.
18. What’s your pop-culture guilty pleasure?
Oh, that’s easy. Justin Bieber.
19. What percentage do you tip for decent service?
Twenty per cent minimum.
20. Who should play you in your hypothetical biopic?
I think maybe Carrie-Anne Moss. People always say we look alike, and we are friends. I would trust her.
21. What’s the last book you read?
The Long Way Home, by Barbara Williams.
22. What would be your death-row meal?
A large plate of spaghetti carbonara cooked perfectly al dente, and banana chocolate anything, with chocolate sauce please.
23. What do you want your tombstone to say?
Loving wife, bad ass mother of three boys and lover of nature.